Sparx is committed to protecting and respecting the privacy of pupils, their parents or guardians and teachers.
Information we collect
We collect and use the following personal information about pupils, their parents or guardians and teachers:
- Pupil Information: this is personal information about a pupil, such as name, year group and maths set, as provided by the school, the pupil’s teacher or as obtained from the pupil in a classroom session. We also record information about that pupil’s performance in quizzes and answers to questions asked as part of the Sparx System, comparative performance to other pupils and current progress through the quizzes and questions set as part of the Sparx System, the features of the Sparx System that have been used by that pupil, time spent by that pupil on features of the Sparx System, and information about the factors that motivate the pupil, such as which rewards the pupil chooses as part of the Sparx System, and the pupil’s e-mail address, information about the pupil’s homework and other performance-related information. We collect information written by pupils in their workbooks used to deliver the Sparx System. Our staff also collect pupil information by observing classes and running focused breakout sessions with pupils.
- Parent Information: this is personal information about a parent or guardian of a pupil such as name and e-mail address, as provided by the parent or the school.
- Teacher Information: this is personal information about a teacher such as name, class number and e-mail address, as provided by the teacher or the school. We also record the time spent in class by that teacher using the Sparx System and time spent engaged by that teacher in pupil interventions during a classroom session when the Sparx System is being used. We link this information with the information we collect about the performance of that teacher’s pupils following each pupil intervention.
- Device Information: We may collect information about the device or any computer that the Sparx System is used on, including, where available, the device's or computer's unique identifiers, operating system, browser type and wireless network information. We may associate Device Information with Pupil Information and/or Teacher Information and will treat the combined information as personal data in accordance with this policy. Please also see section below on “Cookies”.
- Enquiry Information: We collect information sent via our website contact page email addresses. We use this information to correspond with the senders.
How we use personal information
We use Pupil Information, in respect of a pupil, to:
- assist that pupil’s teacher in the running of a classroom session using the Sparx System;
- monitor that pupil’s progress and adapt the learning experience to that pupil’s particular abilities and needs;
- set bespoke homework tailored to a pupil’s progress;
- support teachers in the designation and review of pupil ability sets;
- assist teachers in identifying pupils that have not completed homework;
- recommend to teachers that pupils attend small group sessions based on performance using the Sparx System;
- generate performance reports for that pupil, and that pupil’s teachers and school;
- inform parents whether their child has completed their homework on time and if their child is finding a particular topic challenging; and
- undertake research and development to improve our services and Sparx System.
We use Teacher Information, in respect of a teacher, for:
- administration in relation to the Sparx System, operating the Sparx System, and for research and marketing (including obtaining that teacher’s feedback on the Sparx System) or to deliver an individualised email about their child's homework; and
- monitoring the effectiveness of that teacher’s interaction with pupils as the pupils progress through content delivered via the Sparx System.
We use Parent Information, in respect of a parent or guardian for:
- contacting them at the School’s request to respond to a query; and
- responding to correspondence received from a parent or guardian.
Device and Combined Information
We also use statistical data derived from Pupil Information and Teacher Information for our analysis, research and development in relation to the Sparx System, including assessing and improving its content, design and accessibility.
Disclosures of personal information
We may disclose information about a pupil’s performance and other Pupil Information to:
- that pupil’s teacher;
- other teachers in that pupil’s school (such as a head of department and head teacher);
- parents and guardians of that pupil;
- Sparx staff who:
- assist the teacher in the class;
- analyse the combined data at our offices;
- work on or are developing the Sparx System.
- other educational bodies (such as University research departments) and social services;
- our IT hosting provider which is also a group company; and
- third parties if required by law.
We may also disclose Pupil Information, Teacher Information and Parent Information to a third party in the event that third party acquires Sparx or its assets.
Other than in the very discrete circumstances listed above we will not share Pupil Information, Teacher Information or Parent Information with other third parties without the permission of the pupils, teachers and parents or guardians concerned. This information will never be used to market or sell products or services to pupils or parents.
Where we store your personal data
The majority of the data we collect will be stored and processed in the UK at our offices and in our secure data centre(s). We will only transfer your data outside of the European Economic Area where it is necessary for us to do so.
In order to ensure delivery of our personalised homework email to parents it is necessary for us to transfer some data to a US email delivery provider, PostMark. We have undertaken a detailed assessment of this provider and have concluded that they have good privacy safeguards and security features in place to prevent unauthorised access of data we send them.
We are continually improving our service and as such it is necessary for us to analyse and manage the performance of our code, user interface devices and internet connections. We use a system provided by a US based company, New Relic, to assist us with this analysis. We have undertaken a detailed assessment of this provider and have concluded that they have good privacy safeguards and security features in place to prevent unauthorised access of data we send them.
In order to provide the Sparx System via a web browser and this website, we will place cookies on the computer or other device of a user. Cookies are used to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information. This information is used to arrange the content of this website and the Sparx System, ensure security, track visitor use of this website and to compile statistical reports. These cookies are not used to target users of the Sparx System or this website with online advertising. For further information visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.